Monday, February 13, 2012

Amazing Grammy Performance


Was this year's Grammy performance not amazing? LL Cool J hosted. Respects were paid to not only Whitney Houston but also to others in the music industry that passed away this year. The slogan "We take care of our own" caught my attention as the GRAMMY Foundation was mentioned. 

No one could have missed Adele. Greg and I even got up to shake our booties to rolling in the deep. "Rhinestone Cowboy" was a highlight of my night and while I have to admit, I did not know it was Glen Campbell's song. I did know it came from the movie Rhinestone Cowboy because who could forget a movie with both Sylvester Stallone and Dolly Parton. Hello. The woman teaches the city boy to be a real cowboy. Unforgettable.

Anyway, aside from "Rhinestone Cowboy", Miss Taylor Swift caught my attention. I don't know who could not relate to her song "Mean". I also loved the simplicity of her style. Some might have thought it to be too simple but I am here to tell you those people are wrong. The look was subtle beauty and with her hair pinned back at the nape of her neck, Taylor Swift rocked the look.

Now, Nicki Minaj on the other hand, even if I didn't like her style quite as well, I wouldn't say that. Anyway, this year, I am now scared of Nicki Minaj. However, I do have some observations. I am full of questions. I may even have a few conspiracy theories too.

What was with the pink lipstick in the video? I don't really know what was going on with all the hand waving, and singing while lying on her back... I am really too scared to ask any questions. There was so much stuff going on there. What was with all the references to religion? Was this about birth control? Politics? Fashion? Birth/Rebirth? Was it all about breakups, visions, or visionaries? There are just too many possibilities I am not sure. I guess I am going to have to look more into this.

I do find it very interesting one of the people who influenced this creative display once worked with Lady Gaga and since separated because of creative differences.
That much I do know. Read more about her here.

Given all the oddities of the night, I will have to say Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters won a place in my heart with an acceptance speech. I found his words encouraging. I can't quote him exactly but I'm thinking it went something like this: It doesn't matter what is happening on your computer what matters is what in your hearts and in your mind. If that wasn't what he meant, my sincerest apologies but that is the way I understood it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say... leave a comment

Sociable