Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Washington Journal is my Early Morning SNL


Let me just start out with saying I love Washington Journal on C-SPAN and respect what they do. When I wake up early in the morning to feed the baby, they are always right there on my TV. They were even there for me on Christmas too.

I don't have to keep stacks of newspapers lying around that I don't even have the time to read. All I have to do is turn the TV on and these people read the news to me. Straight from the paper with highlighted words and everything, just the same as I used to do myself. Only they, the people from Washington Journal, aren't highlighting the yard sales in a local paper

They pick important articles, like, current events and political issues, which are both sometimes national and international. Then, and here is the kicker, C-SPAN lets regular people call in and discuss their opinions with political experts. I know. It is kinda crazy.  Right? It is as someone is actually saying "Hey, we are bipartisan." and "Hey, we care what people think even if you never graduated anywhere with any kind of degree. We still care. "

Now, I also must say that sometimes, and more often than not, the show is funny. The people who call in are usually very serious but at the same time, they aren't always the stuffy politician types we are used to seeing all of the time. And believe it or not, real people say some funny stuff.  

I first started watching the show to learn more about the big oil spill disaster.  At that time, people were calling in left and right with their ideas on how to repair the leek. As if, every American citizen's a certified deep-sea welder... Anyway, to say the least, it was very comical.

I'll also never forget the time when a woman from the very state I live in called in to complain. She wanted to know why she, a person who owns her own business, had to wait in line at the grocery store behind a woman who was probably on public assistance because she had too many kids from different dads,,, or she said something to that effect. I couldn't quote her exactly because at the time I was too busy laughing at the bitter woman. I mean, I live in the same state. Missouri. She was even from a town not far from where I live. So for one, this area isn't exactly the most prosperous in the entire nation and two, I'd bet she would have felt differently if the person she was behind in line at the store was her daughter. So I had to laugh at the woman and I'd bet money the people at C-SPAN who answer the phones and operate the cameras were laughing too.

Anyway, I think it is about time for me to make a full circle all the way back to my original point. I love the Washington Journal for what they are doing. I love the idea they recognize individuals and want to know what real people think. And yes, when I am up early enough to catch the show, I am usually so tired that I can't help but laugh at some of the people who call into the show. At the same time though, I feel like other people should respect that there are politically involved people who want a real reaction. 

Those of you who are ignorant enough to call in only to insult a woman politician by questioning if she has a hairy beaver, well you people just need to find something else to do. Let those of us who want to watch a decent show, for whatever purpose, watch it. Yes, I will have to say I point, laugh, and have even tweeted about it but I did not call in to pollute the show. Washington Journal bridges the gap between politics and the regular guy. What makes it so funny is that it is real and the people who call in are serious. So, if you want to call in please leave the vagina references for your own twitter account. I like my early-morning political humor pure, thank you very much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say... leave a comment

Sociable