Saturday, January 14, 2012

Untitled


I used to sing words to you are my sunshine. Both my mom and dad sang the song to me when I was a little girl. They divorced when I was very young, so I found some delight in the song they both sang to me separately. When my son Sam was born, I sang the song to him too. February second marks three years since he passed. I don't sing the song anymore.



For the IndieInk Writing Challenge this week, Sherree challenged me with "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, and then the sky went dark." and I challenged Kirsten Doyle with "You are on a weekend getaway at a secluded place. The food is terrible. The accommodations are awful. However, the staff is so endearing that you do not find it in yourself to complain."

4 comments:

  1. "You Are My Sunshine" was written by a former governor of Louisiana; it's actually about the state. I learned that in a history class in college.

    That being said, I've always found the song rather melancholy. I don't like singing it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to sing this same song to my son when he was young. I understand how losing your son would change how you felt about this song. I am so very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was obviously a painful post to write. Even if time has passed.

    The brevity of words impacts the brevity of life. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are no words to tell you how sorry I am that you received this prompt. With that said, your response was perfect. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say... leave a comment

Sociable