Saturday, January 7, 2012

Solidify

This is my response to a challenge from the Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads. We were asked to take this image and write a poem about it. The image is by Kim Simm and his website can be found here.

The Lonely Cry ~ Ken Simm



Solidify
Solid
Solid is the s curve
I see it here
As it is the first thing
I look for in every painting
One of the few things
I always know to look for
Classic
Classic
As the moon sky and water
The solid structure of the s curve
Leading about
Into the painting
I am myself in this curve
Feeling its endless pattern run through me
I am solid
Solid
As this classic s curve
There is a breeze crisp and chilling
I can feel it
I hear the birds and wonder
I know little of birds such as these
I am used to the crows and vultures
Who often circle above
In the sky near hillside pastures
Colors
These colors
Are ones I know well
Light and airy
Painted with smooth quick brush strokes
Though solid ones at that
The thin
Or what is perceived to be
Thin
Addition of paint
Is almost deceiving
As I know this kind of wistful design
Is in all actuality well planned
Desire design and hard work
All speak to me
As I revel in my ability
To identify
With such structure
As this s curve
And then I look closer 
at the image
 and feel like a fool
deceived
like a fool



15 comments:

  1. I love your inclusion of the artist into your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I am showing my ignorance but how am I doing that? I meant to tell a story about how I feel about the picture. How I know very little about art and thought I was seeing and relating to something other than what was really there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many nice lines here:

    I am myself in this curve
    Feeling its endless pattern run through me



    The thin
    Or what is perceived to be
    Thin
    Addition of paint
    Is almost deceiving
    As I know this kind of wistful design
    Is in all actuality well planned

    I also enjoyed the idea of an S curve being solid. I guess I had never thought of it that way. Well done and viva la

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I have taken from your piece is the strength of flexibility: the ability to bend and curve through the harsh terrain of life as this river winds through the foreground of the photograph. To me, it's as if the writer has found something of herself in the image.
    Thank you for participating in the Photography Challenge on Real Toads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Kerry..I feel the movement in the S curve to adapt to the harshness be it life or terrain. Just as the artist created a visual with his medium you created it with yours. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed this, I like your ear for sound and the listing and repetitions work well. The turn in the poem itself is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very evocative piece. Conveys the moment well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really interesting and creative take on the prompt. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Titus, I am glad you liked the and repititions sometimes I find myself using and and think I should edit it out but I leave it because I like the sound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ken, thank you. I am happy your picture was made available for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kerry, thanks for allowing me to participate. I really enjoy the Real Toads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susie, "the harshness be it life or terrain" Those are words I like. Thank you for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, the s curve is the basis of many great paintings. It is the one thing I am always able to pick out. To me,the curve is solid as it is always something I can rely on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mama Zen, I am happy you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the thought that weaves through the line 'i am myself in this curve' had the tang (for me) of a virginia woolf line of thinking. the ability to shift the self, and to find one's perspective weaving in and through something outside of the self... it's a powerful tool.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say... leave a comment

Sociable