Friday, January 13, 2012

Muse


This is my response to a challenge at Imaginary garden with real toads. The challenge was a music prompt by Tom Waits.

Bring it to me on the table
Serve it up on a plate
Do not take forever
I do not like to wait
I can't move without your blessing
I am held here for all time
Please give me without undressing
All I want that's mine

If I could remember
What I used to know
I'd write it down on paper
For all the world I'd show

However I've not found it
Without your delight
You've erased all my memory
And taken away my sight

Give up
And take it
Shameless
And shrewd
I need you now forever
Without you I'm no good

Hear the peacefulness presented
Words written on a page
A thought a sound, the time in now
I dwell upon the rage
Do hear me out
The time has come
Bring it all to me
I cannot wait, any longer here
I need this faithfully

9 comments:

  1. it's interesting that you used the rhythm of tom's song. now can we hear you sing this? know that it's written to the song prompt makes it impossible for me to read this without hearing it. which is not a bad thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I think I may be semi-tone deaf. You wouldn't want to hear me sing. Recite maybe. Sing no.

      Delete
  2. I can really hear this poem. This is my favorite stanza:

    If I could remember
    What I used to know
    I'd write it down on paper
    For all the world I'd show

    So true, I think...there is so much we all have forgotten and so much more we will yet forget. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wish I knew everything I thought I knew when I was younger. When I knew everything and understood nothing.

      Delete
  3. That is quite a muse...I like:

    I dwell upon the rage
    Do hear me out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great rhythm here... I especially like the last stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect you and Tom know one another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I sent him a Christmas card once... LOL

      Delete
  6. Yes! Marian noticed it. All I could do was think "this feels familiar" but I didn't put it together with Tom's rhythm. Super! And I especially like the second stanza, too.
    K

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say... leave a comment

Sociable