Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I Listened

I said "Don't."


He forgot.


"You are stuck with it." 


He didn't listen.


So I am sitting here
by myself once again.


While he is out
doing whatever it is
he thinks needs done.


And I am here.


Right where 
I'd promised 
I'd always be.


He said "Stay,"


I didn't forget.


He said "Soon,"


I listened.


He said "Tomorrow."


I waited.


I said "Go," 
I meant stay.




This is my response to this week's IndieInk Writing Challenge. Femmefauxpas challenged me with "Don't forgot, you're stuck with it tomorrow." I challenged Sheauntelle with "He stuck a penny in my printer. I was trying to type."



5 comments:

  1. I really like this. Simply worded, but poignant and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this a lot. The last stanza is a perfect ending to the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. R.L.W. and Tara R.

    I am glad both of you liked the poem and stopped by to leave a comment. I am giddy like a little girl with your words of encouragement. *Blush*

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really interesting. I love how it was formatted like a poem. I could see this applying to so many couples but in the beginning I almost could see a dog waiting patiently for its master...except for that last stanza it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, I know the last part sets it off a bit. Almost as if there should be three lines but free form is free form. Right?

    Anyway, I wrote this about my husband and myself. I think it applies to all couples. There is always a push and a pull in relationships. When to go, When to stay, and when to be loyal to each other.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say... leave a comment

Sociable