Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Understanding of The Game Theory

Another Valuable Theory From Hannah

When I was about seven or so months pregnant with Greg I couldn't for the life of me keep my husband interested in staying at home for any length of time. This, of course, was before the x-box. I don't know why he didn't want to spend time with me. It wasn't like I was hormonal or anything. I was just carrying a bowling ball in my belly.

So instead of crying to him about it I complained to everyone I even remotely came in contact with. I spent way too much time on the computer and divulged my pregnancy brain in less-than-useful Wikipedia articles. Go figure. I was pregnant.

Anyway, I became fascinated with a particular series of Wikipedia articles about the Game Theory. When I told people about the articles I was reading I did not get the reception I thought I would get.

I thought I would get something like "Oh really a bunch of games that have been studied with proven strategies on how to win. Hmm... I wonder if such information could be applied to marital conflicts."

Instead I got something more like "Hannah maybe you should make better use of your time reading something else."

I did only take one sociology class in my brief stint at community college. I can see how my interest in learning about the game theory could be misinterpreted. Still, I do possess enough background knowledge to have gotten a little something out of those random wiki articles.

The game theory can be defined as a mathematical method of making decisions in which a competitive situation is analyzed to determine the optimal course of action for an interested party. Here is a little of what I actually understood about the game theory.

  • In the game theory each player learns to estimate the likelihood of the other player's actions.
  • Immature players will change up their strategies more often than the mature players.
  • Immature players base their next moves on their early experiences of cooperation.
  • Those previously exposed to bullying are more likely to become bullies.
  • Immature players have a tendency to build trust when they witness the cooperation of mature players.
  • Immature players who are shown the value of self sacrifice seem to adapt their strategies and engage in positive behaviors. 

Now for those who previously did not understand when I tried to explain my interest in the game theory; I was not talking about candy land. My time as the Wikipedia road scholar is now a distant memory. I still retain some of the random useless knowledge I obsessively looked up but since I have had a baby. I have also gained another addition to the family our beloved x-box. As for my husband, he spends a lot more time at home. Not a lot of time at home but a lot more time at home.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say... leave a comment

Sociable